2021 National Symposium for NSF REU Research in Data Science, Systems, and Security (REU Symposium 2021)
Collocated at the IEEE BigData 2021 Conference
December 15, 2021, Virtual
Undergraduate research plays an important role in attracting our best undergraduates to continue towards graduate education in the science and engineering fields. Publishing research in a professional venue is part of the training for future researchers. The National Science Foundation (NSF) provides support for undergraduate research within the Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program. The goal of this Symposium is to provide a venue for students to publish their research done as part of the REU program. The symposium seeks original submissions in research areas that are currently funded by the NSF’s directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE) or other related directorates. Research done by undergraduate researchers funded by similar programs such as Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP) are also eligible to submit.
The key requirement for this Symposium is that the submission’s lead author must be an undergraduate student funded as part of the NSF REU (REU supplement or REU Site) program or similar programs.
REU 2021 Symposium will be held virtually based on the setup of the IEEE BigData 2021 Conference.
The final schedule for REU Symposium 2021 can be found at REU Symposium 2021 Schedule.
- Paper submission due date: Oct 15, 2021 (extended)
- Decision notification: Nov 13, 2021
- Camera-ready due date: Nov 21, 2021
- Symposium: One day in Dec 15-18, 2021
Authors are invited to submit full papers (maximal 10 pages) or short papers (maximal 6 pages) as per IEEE 8.5 x 11 manuscript guidelines (templates for LaTex, Word and PDF can be found at IEEE Templates for Conference Proceedings). All papers must be submitted via the conference submission system for the symposium.
At least one author of each accepted paper is required to attend the symposium and present the paper. All the accepted papers by the symposium will be included in the Proceedings of the IEEE Big Data 2021 Conference (IEEE BigData 2021) which will be published by IEEE Computer Society.
- Dr. Mohamamd Al Hasan, Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis
- Dr. Jianwu Wang, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Organizer of the NSF REU Site on Online Interdisciplinary Big Data Analytics in Science and Engineering
- Dr. Matthias K. Gobbert, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Co-organizer of the NSF REU Site on Online Interdisciplinary Big Data Analytics in Science and Engineering
- Dr. Nirmalya Roy, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Organizer of the NSF REU Site on Smart Computing and Communications
- Dr. Fusheng Wang, Stony Brook University, Organizer of the NSF REU on Big Data, AI and Medical Informatics
Program Committee Members
- Dr. Prasad Calyam, University of Missouri-Columbia, Organizer of the NSF REU Site on Research in Consumer Networking Technologies
- Dr. Hassan Ghasemzadeh, Washington State University, Organizer of the NSF REU Site on Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research Training in Wearable Computing
- Dr. Enyue (Annie) Lu, Salisbury University, Organizer of the NSF REU Site on Explore Emerging Computing in Science and Engineering (EXERCISE)
- Dr. Wenbo Tang, Arizona State University, Organizer of the NSF REU Site on Applied Mathematics and Computational Modeling in the Greater Phoenix Area