2022 Symposium for Undergraduate Research in Data Science, Systems, and Security (REU Symposium 2022)
Collocated at the 9th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Big Data Computing, Applications and Technologies (BDCAT 2022)
One day in December 6-9, 2022, Portland, Oregon, USA
Undergraduate research plays an important role in attracting our best undergraduates to continue towards graduate education in the science and engineering fields. Publishing research in a professional venue is part of the training for future researchers. The National Science Foundation (NSF) provides support for undergraduate research within the Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program. The goal of this Symposium is to provide a venue for students to publish their research done as part of the REU program. The symposium seeks original submissions in research areas that are currently funded by the NSF’s directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE) or other related directorates. Research done by undergraduate researchers via funding from similar programs such as Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP) are also eligible to submit.
The same REU Symposium has been held in 2021. More information can be found at REU Symposium 2021.
The key requirement for this Symposium is that the submission’s lead author must be an undergraduate student funded as part of the NSF REU (REU supplement or REU Site) program or similar programs.
Update (07/24/2022): The main conference has received funding from National Science Foundation (NSF) to provide Student Travel Awards for students to attend the main conference and the REU symposium. Details on travel award application instruction will be posted later.
- Paper submission due date: Monday, Sep 12, 2022 (Extended)
- Decision notification: Oct 02, 2022
- Camera-ready due date: Oct 30, 2022
- Symposium: One day in Dec 6-9, 2022
Authors are invited to submit full papers (maximal 10 pages) or short papers (maximal 6 pages) as per IEEE 8.5 x 11 manuscript guidelines (templates for LaTex, Word and PDF can be found at IEEE Templates for Conference Proceedings). All papers must be submitted via https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=reusymposium2022.
At least one author of each accepted paper is required to attend the symposium and present the paper. All the accepted papers by the symposium will be included in the Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM International Conference on Big Data Computing, Applications and Technologies (BDCAT2022) which will be published by IEEE Computer Society.
- Dr. Matthias K. Gobbert, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Organizer of the NSF REU Site on Online Interdisciplinary Big Data Analytics in Science and Engineering
- Dr. Jianwu Wang, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Organizer of the NSF REU Site on Online Interdisciplinary Big Data Analytics in Science and Engineering
- Dr. Nirmalya Roy, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Organizer of the NSF REU Site on Smart Computing and Communications
- Dr. Fusheng Wang, Stony Brook University, Organizer of the NSF REU on Big Data, AI and Medical Informatics
Program Committee Members
- Dr. Prasad Calyam, University of Missouri-Columbia, Organizer of the NSF REU Site on Research in Consumer Networking Technologies
- Dr. Jun Zheng, New Mexico Tech University, Organizer of the NSF REU Site on Emerging Issues in Cybersecurity
- Dr. Enyue (Annie) Lu, Salisbury University, Organizer of the NSF REU Site on Explore Emerging Computing in Science and Engineering (EXERCISE)
- Dr. Sanjay Madria, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Organizer of the NSF REU Site on Cybersecurity, Data Analytics and Blockchain for Securing Big Data and Cyber-Physical Systems
- Dr. Arielle Carr, Lehigh University
- Dr. Jelena Mirkovic, USC Information Sciences Institute
- Dr. Rakesh Verma, University of Houston
- Dr. Tuan Le, New Mexico State University
- Dr. Huiping Cao, New Mexico State University
- Dr. Ioannis Kakadiaris, University of Houston
- Dr. Boyang Wang, University of Cincinnati
- Dr. Sihong Xie, Lehigh University